If you purchased a Merlin frame and are experiencing a frame issue you may be eligible for warranty repair. Please read the Merlin Worldwide Limited Warranty and if you feel your frame qualifies, fill out the information below to assist us with the processing of your frame warranty claim. In order to complete your claim you will need to send us legible copies of the sales receipt showing your name, the Merlin frame in question, the date of sale and the name of the retailer. If you have this documentation in your possession please proceed below:
Merlin Worldwide Limited Policy
Merlin warrants to the original retail purchaser ("you") that a Merlin frame is free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date of the original retail purchase.
This warranty is not transferable to a subsequent purchaser. Merlin's sole obligation under this warranty is to either, at its discretion: (1) repair the claimed defect at no charge, (2) exchange the frame with a frame that is new or which is at least functionally equivalent to the original frame, or (3) a credit amount, determined by Merlin towards the purchase of a new frame. Merlin must be notified in writing of any claim under this warranty within 60 days of any claimed lack of conformity of the frame.
The duration of any implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise, on this frame shall be limited to the duration of the express warranty set forth above. In no event shall Merlin be liable for any loss, inconvenience or damage, whether direct, incidental, consequential or otherwise, resulting from breach of any express or implied warranty or condition, of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, or otherwise with respect to this frame, except as set forth herein. Some states or countries do not allow limitation on how long an implied warranty lasts and some do not allow exclusions or limitations of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.
This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which may vary, from location to location. This warranty will be interpreted pursuant to the laws of the United States. The original English language version/meaning of this warranty controls over all translations and Merlin is not responsible for any errors in translation of this warranty or any product instructions. No company or person (including but not limited to employees or agents of Merlin) are authorized to modify, enlarge or extend this warranty in any way or to make any other warranties, expressed or implied on behalf of Merlin. This warranty is not intended to confer any additional legal, jurisdictional or warranty rights to you other that those set forth herein or required by law. If any portion of this warranty is held to be invalid or unenforceable for any reason, such finding will not invalidate any other provision.
This warranty policy represents the express warranty provided by Merlin for current purchases. The warranty policy in existence at the time you purchased your frame is controlling as of the time your warranty claim is made, and may differ from these terms. If you are unsure what the warranty policy was at the time you purchased your frame, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will provide you with that information.
To Obtain Warranty Service
Consumer claims for warranty service must be made using Merlin Warranty website claim forms. Any postage, insurance, or shipping costs incurred in sending your frame for service are your responsibility. This includes return shipping. Merlin will not be responsible for frames lost or damaged in shipping. You are responsible for the cost of removing ALL parts and components off the bike including fork and bottom bracket races/bearings before your frame is shipped to Merlin for warranty examination and or possible repair.
1. Fill out all sections of this on line form and submit to us.
2. Once we contact you we will request digital photos of the damaged areas and the entire bike with all components still attached to it. We encourage that you send digital photos of the frame and all damage before stripping the bike down to ensure that the frame is (1) warrantable and (2) repairable.
3. You will also need to email, mail or fax us a legible copy of the your original proof of purchase showing the (a) date purchased (2) frame serial number (3) retailer name and (4) your name and or address;
4. Once the foregoing is completed, we will try to make the decision that the frame is (1) warrantable and (2) repairable using only photos you send. If we cannot you will need to strip the frame down and send it into us using trackable shipping (such as FedEx or UPS)
5. Once we make a decision on the warranty we will advise you via phone or email. If not warrantable we will advise on non-warranty options. If not repairable we will advise of options in that case as well.
6. If the frame is both covered under warranty and repairable you will be issued a return authorization number. DO NOT send in a frame without that number as that is the way the frame is tracked. RA numbers may also be issued in some cases where the bike must be inspected personally. Issuance of an RA number does not imply the frame is covered under warranty or repairable unless we indicate that in a written communication to you.
Only Merlin may determine if a frame is warrantable. If the frame is not covered under warranty, all replacement, repair, and shipping costs are responsibility of the customer. Merlin cannot return unrepairable unwarranted frames to the consumer if they are unsafe to use in their unrepaired condition. Merlin will make the final decision on whether or not shipping charges will be charged for the shipping of the repaired or replacement frame.
At no time may any retailer or distributor make representations of what is covered or not covered under this warranty without express written permission from Merlin. Should a retailer or distributor replace a frame before consulting Merlin, it is at the sole discretion of the retailer or distributor and they may not be reimbursed by Merlin. When a frame or part is exchanged, any replacement item becomes property of the customer and the returned product becomes the property of Merlin, which may destroy it.
Warranty on Repaired Products
If your frame is repaired, the repair work will be warranted for one (1) year from the date of the repair under the terms of this warranty.
This warranty does not cover the following:
• Frames that have been modified, neglected or poorly maintained, used for commercial purposes, misused or abused or involved in accidents. It is your responsibility to regularly examine the frame to determine the need for normal service or replacement.
• Damage occurring during shipment of the frames (such claims must be presented directly to the shipper).
• Products that are covered by another seller or manufacturer’s warranty; this Merlin warranty does not extend, modify or replace any other warranty. Parts made by other manufacturers will be covered by the warranties of the respective manufacturers, please address your claim to them. (Suspension forks and rear suspension units, are warranted only by the manufacturer of the item)
• Frames whose serial number or other identifying marks have been altered, defaced, removed or are otherwise unreadable.
• Frames that are purchased used, or in not-new condition.
• Damage to frames resulting from improper assembly (i.e. improper torque values used), repair or refinishing (i.e. sanding, painting, refinishing or the techniques used), the use or installation of parts or accessories not compatible with the original intended use of the frame, or the failure to follow the product warnings, installation and usage instructions. This warranty does not apply if the original finish has been modified or removed.
• Frames purchased at, installed, adjusted and or assembled by retailers not authorized by Merlin.
• Damage or deterioration to the surface finish, paint, aesthetics or appearance of the frame (cosmetic blemishes) or damage due to UV ray exposure, sweat or salt air, corrosive mud or other chemicals.
• The labor required to remove and/or re-fit and re-adjust the frame covered by this warranty or any product that it is attached to.
• Any costs associated with returning or shipping warranted or non-warranted frames.
• Normal wear to the frame. Components may have symptoms of wear in less than their warranted time frame depending on amount of use, type of use and other conditions. This includes frames that have reached the end of their normal life expectancy before the warranted time frame expires.
• Commercial claims made by any merchant, retailer, commercial seller or reseller (not on behalf of an individual consumer).
• Frames purchased through unauthorized distribution channels (i.e. EBay or via an unauthorized internet seller, swap meet or private party) or frames originally intended to be sold in a country other than the one you purchased them in or from (i.e. grey market goods)
• Rear racks, chain/seatstay mounted bike trailers and kick stands may not be installed or used on Extralight or XLM frames. Use of aforementioned items will void the warranty.
• Any frames for which the consumer does not follow the warranty procedures outlined above. Copyright © 2013, Backcountry.com, Inc., d/b/a Merlin Bikes